There are all kinds of quiche recipes out there. And I do mean ALL KINDS. A simply Google search of “quiche recipes” will net you 932,000 results!
But what I’ve got here for you is an easy to make, base healthy veggie quiche recipe that you can use to make healthy quiche of your own. The great thing about quiche is that it is so versatile. You can add literally anything you want to it to make it as healthy, or unhealthy, as you wish.
This is what I use as my base recipe for a healthy quiche. You could choose to forgo the crust and it would have less fat and calories, but I don’t recommend it. The crust gives it jsut that little bit of fat that even out the rest of the healthy ingredients. Also, please note I have a VERY deep pie dish. If you want to make this in just a normal size Pyrex glass pie pan, reduce the amounts appropriately.
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked deep dish pie crust
- 6 egg whites
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2-3 Tablespoons Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (8 oz) bag shredded 2% cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 (8 oz) bag of Fat Free shredded cheddar cheese
Here are the additions that I add in my veggie quiche:
- small onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (10 ox package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 (8 oz) can of mushroom, drained
- 2/3 -3/4 large bunch of broccoli (about 10 oz or 300 grams on a kitchen scale)
I have found that the above ingredients make a perfectly full, (again my deep pie dish is large) delicious, and healthy vegetable quiche. Don’t forget though that you should add whatever veggies you enjoy most. Also, adding cooked ground sausage or turkey sausage will up the flavor (and calories) as well.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Whisk together eggs and milk and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat some olive oil over medium heat. Saute garlic, onion, and red pepper until lightly browned, about 6-7 minutes.
- Dump that into a very, very large mixing bowl.
- Put the skillet back on the stove and saute the broccoli in a little olive oil until it starts to soften, about 4-5 minutes. Don’t overcook it. Add that to the big mixing bowl.
- Add the thawed and well drained spinach, mushrooms, Italian seasoning, half of the bag of 2% cheese (4 oz), and the half bag (4 oz) of fat free cheese to the mixing bowl. Set aside the other half of the 2% shredded cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper. Then mix all of that together well with a big spatula.
- Put the unbaked pie crust in the pie dish, then spoon the mixture into pie crust spreading it out evenly, but don’t press it down.
- Pour the egg and milk mixture evenly into the pie. Let it sit for a couple minutes.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Then, pull it out and sprinkle the top with remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes depending on your oven, until set in center. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Serving size – 8 pieces
Here is the nutritional info for the above quiche recipe, cut into 8 equal pieces:
Click here for printable recipe – Healthy Veggie Quiche
Categories: Recipes and Food