Oh boy. Yummy apples, poached figs, and walnuts are combined in an easy, yet decorated up, cake mix for a scrumptious apple and fig upside cake. I made this the other day and it is already gone!
To make the poached figs, see my recipe on my Snacks page for my Poached Figs.
This recipe actually makes enough batter for both a 9×9 square baking pan upside-down cake with enough left over for 6 muffins.
Plus if you aren’t a fan of figs (although seriously poached figs are amazing) simply omit the figs for a yummy apple upside down cake. 🙂
Apple and Fig upside-down cake and 6 muffins
• Poached Figs (see my recipe) separated, 14 whole and 10 chopped up
• 3 Large Sliced and Peeled Apples (I used Macintosh) separated
• 1/3 cup Walnuts chopped small
• 1 stick salted butter
• 2/3 cups dark brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
• 1 box Pillsbury Moist Supreme Classic Yellow cake mix (plus oil and eggs as required by the directions on box)
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon ginger
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
• 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
FOR THE CAKE
1. Preheat oven to 325F degrees.
2. Coat a 9×9 inch square baking pan with butter and then non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
3. Cut off the hard little stem of all poached figs and leave whole
4. Slice and peel the apples and layer 2 of the apples and 8 of the stem-less poached figs in the prepared baking pan.
5. In a small saucepan, melt 1 stick of butter on low heat. When it begins to bubble, stir in 2/3 cup dark brown sugar. Continue to stir until smooth. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground cloves. Stirring constantly, leave on heat for about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 1 minute, then pour overtop the layers apples and figs.
6. Sprinkle walnuts overtop that (see pic below)
7. In a large bowl, mix the cake mix by following direction on box + add in cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg as listed above.
8. Chop up in small pieces the remaining apple and 10 poached figs with stems removed and add to the mix.
9. Remove 3 CUPS ONLY of the batter and pour over the apples and bake for at 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 300 and bake for 30 more minutes, to or until a toothpick inserted in the very middle comes out clean.
10. Allow to cool for exactly 10 minutes then invert on a large serving dish.
11. Serve warm or at room temperature.
FOR THE MUFFINS
Use the remaining mix to make 6 muffins.
1. Prepare a muffin tin for 6 muffins.
2. Place 1 whole poached fig with hard little stem removed on the bottom of the PAM sprayed baking cup.
3. Cover with batter.
4. Put in the oven when you reduce the temperature down to 300 for the cake.
5. Bake for 30 minutes.
As always, this recipe can be found in my Pies, Cakes, and Tarts section here on my site!
Categories: Recipes and Food
Leave a Reply