I am definitely on a crockpot craze right now. I pretty much can’t stop making things in the crockpot because it is so easy. This recipe here is the easiest of all. There is no prep, you simply add everything to the crockpot and turn it on. That is it!
Even better, it’s good for you. And not good for you in a “Eww this is gross, but I’ll eat it cause its good for me” kind of way, but a “This can’t be good for me its way to tasty!” kind of way. 🙂
I eat it in a bowl over brown rice. And its super adaptable to fit your taste buds. Simply adjust the amounts of the stuff in it, or add other ingredients that you like, and it will still be good.
The base of this recipe is from About.com Southern Food . They call it “Chicken and Black Beans, Slow Cooker”, but that seemed like a boring name so I call it Mexican Chicken Soup/Stew because its kind of a cross between soup and stew and tastes like yummy chicken taco in a bowl. I then adapted it a bit to my taste, which is code for making it HOT, HOT, HOT! I do love my spicy dishes. But if you don’t do spicy, omit the jalapenos that I added.
Crockpot Mexican Chicken Soup/Stew
• 3 to 4 boneless chicken breast halves, cut in 3 strips (I used 2 Large SAMs chicken breasts)
• 1 can (12 to 15oz) corn, drained
• 1 can (15oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 2 teaspoons chili powder
• 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
• 1 red bell pepper, cut in strips
• 1 can (14.5oz) diced tomatoes
• 1/2 tomato cut in chunks (optional)
• 1/3 heaping cup sliced jalapenos (I used ones from a jar) (optional)
• 1/2 cup water
1. Combine all ingredients in slow cooker. When doing so, place the chicken chunks in the middle.
2. Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours.
3. Serve over rice.
Nutritional Information (makes roughly 10 servings of 3/4 cup)
Saturated fat: .3g
Vitamin A: 12%
Vitamin C: 34.6%
As always, you can come back and find this recipe on my Main Dishes page. 🙂
Categories: Recipes and Food
Leave a Reply