Everyone loves banana muffins and everyone loves blueberry muffins, right? Of course you do! Me too. But, I also love eating healthy and usually muffins do not abide by this rule. So, I went looking for some healthy muffin recipes. I had 2 very ripe bananas sitting here that I pretty much had to use by today or say sayonara to, and we always have blueberries in the freezer to last through the winter that we bag up in summer. (Note – If you don’t do this you should. That way you have fresh blueberries on hand and don’t have to spend mega bucks for them offseason,)
Also, I really wanted to get protein powder in them to help me reach my pretein goal intake that I have each day, which is if you are curious between 90-120g per day. After countless time spent perusing the web and not finding one suitable, I just decided to take little parts of different ones and make my own.
Viola, scrumptious, healthy protein muffins that are only 36 calories per muffin! See the per muffin nutritional info at the bottom of the page. I figure I will probably eat 4 at a time, but you can just times everything by the number you eat.
I used Optimum Nutrition Casein Protein Powder Vanilla. You can use whatever kind you have that is either plain or vanilla flavored. Or you can omit the protein powder and just add a bit more oatmeal flour.
Speaking of the oatmeal flour……I have never used oatmeal flour before, so needless to say I did not have any on hand. And honestly, I didn’t even know what it was. Well you know what, all you do to make oatmeal flour is grind up oatmeal in a blender! Ha, who knew it was so easy!
So without further ado, here it is:
Healthy Blueberry Banana Protein Mini Muffins
Makes 32 mini muffins
• 1 1/4 cup oatmeal flour (Simply grind up about 1 3/4 cup oatmeal in a blender)
• 1 heaping scoop vanilla protein powder (I used Optimum Nutrition Casein Vanilla)
• 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
• 2 Tablespoons honey
• 1 1/2 very ripe bananas
• 2 Tablespoons nonfat Greek yogurt
• 1 large egg, beaten
• 1/3 cup milk (almond milk, soymilk, cow’s milk, etc.)
• 1 and 1/2 cup fresh or unthawed frozen blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 325F degrees. Spray mini muffin tin (24) with nonstick spray.
2. In a medium bowl, mix the oatmeal flour, baking soda, protein powder and cinnamon together until combined. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the honey, bananas, yogurt, and beaten egg. Slowly fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. It will be very thick. Add the milk slowly and continue to gently mix the ingredients until just combined. Gently fold in the blueberries. Do not over mix the batter, which will lend tough, dry muffins.
4. Divide the batter between mini muffin tin. You will fill all 24 in the first batch, then 8 more in the next batch Bake for 11 minutes or until very lightly browned on the edges. Do not overcook. Allow the muffins to cool slightly, then remove from pan and do up the final 8.
Makes 32 mini muffins.
Nutrition Info (per muffin)
Calories – 36
Carbs – 7g
Fat – .5 g
Protein – 1.7g
Potassium – 25mg
Sugars – 3g
Fiber – 1g
Sodium – 31mg
Cholesterol – 6mg
Calcium – 2.5%
Vitamin C – 2%
Vitamin A – 0%
Iron – 3%
As always you can print this off on my COOKIES, BARS, BREADS AND MUFFINS page. 🙂
Categories: Recipes and Food