I love peanut butter. Chances are you love peanut butter. In fact, I am pretty sure everyone in the entire world loves peanut butter.
Unfortunately peanut butter is high in fat and calories, so while eaten in moderate amounts its totally OK, scarfing down the Reese’s peanut butter cups is a definate no-no. Which makes me sad, because as I mentioned, I love peanut butter. And I also love Reeses peanut butter cups. I mean, again, who doesn’t?
So, I went in search for a “healthy” version of Reese’s peanut butter cups and low and behold there are lots of them out there in cyber-land. But, the one I kept coming back to was by The Dashing Dish called Skinny Peanut Butter Cups.It looked the healthiest and quite frankly, they just looked the tastiest. I of course had to modify the recipe just slightly. I doubled the PB layer ingredients and I didn’t have mini-muffin liners laying around, so I made mine in regular sized muffin cups which of course means I had fewer and bigger peanut butter cups.
There are AWESOME!! Seriously people, these actually taste good and close to a Reese’s.
They are not quite as good as a Reese’s, but for a healthy snack version it is close enough. And they totally satisfy the sweet cravings you may sometimes get. You can eat 2 of these and have no guilt at all! I mean just look as the nutritional value of this recipe:
Nutrition (1 PB Cup)
And that it not a typo, there is only 1g of fat per PB cup!
Healthy Peanut Butter Cups (Modified from The Dashing Dish)
• 1/4 cup light soy milk (or any type of milk)
• 1/4 cup 0% fat Greek yogurt
• 1/4 cup Cocoa powder (unsweetened)
• 1 scoop Chocolate Protein powder (I used 31g Quest
• Pinch of Salt
• 2 Tablespoons Sugar (or whatever sugar substitute you prefer, be sure to modify the amount)
Peanut Butter Layer
• 1/2 cup Peanut Butter Powder (like PB2 or PBFit)
• 1/2 cup Water (approximately, add a ¼ cup first then a little bit more at a time until desired consistency is reached))
• Pinch of Salt
• 2 Tablespoon Sugar
1. Put 9 muffin cups in muffin pan and spray with PAM.
2. Mix up each layer in a separate bowl.
3. Scoop about a 1/2 tablespoon or so on the bottom of each, then smooth it out a bit with the back of a spoon sprayed with PAM.
4. Scoop the PB layer on top of each, about a tablespoon or so, then smooth it out a bit with the back of a spoon sprayed with PAM.
5. Scoop the rest of the chocolate layer on top, about ½ tablespoon or so, then smooth it out a bit with the back of a spoon sprayed with PAM.
6. Put in the freezer. Leave in for at least 1-2 hours before eating.
7. They stayed stored in the freezer. Let sit on the counter for about 5 minutes before eating.
Categories: Recipes and Food